View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 I know this doesn't go here but... 

Post I know this doesn't go here but...
My buddy through all this is little Jiraiya, our Dachsund/ChiHuaHua mix. For us he is more like Jiraiya the wonder dog. He just helps me through so many rough times.

Today my wife asked me why I never play "our game" with Jiraiya anymore (he and I) and I was forced to admit I no longer remembered how....

This can be cruel to the patient as well. Since a pet cannot actually listen and respond with speech, it is a great thing for a dementia patient to have, he lets me vent but also sometimes he feels like the only one who understands me. So pets can remain in a patients sphere of things he/she gives a rip about long after many humans have left that sphere.

And I can't remember our game anymore....
Attachment:
File comment: Jiraiya the Wonder Dog
jiraiya.jpg
jiraiya.jpg [ 222.09 KiB | Viewed 413 times ]

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Post Re: I know this doesn't go here but...
Jeff,

It's so funny you posted this. I was breaking the news of my dementia diagnosis to my sister in law a couple of nights ago and after the mandatory "oh nos!" She declared that I need a dog. And you know what, the idea really was appealing to me. I adored our Pug that passed a few years ago. Then I thought of the coming clumsiness, the falls, the increased confusion and hallucinations. And I thought no, no I don't need a dog. It wouldn't be fair to either of us at this point. Made me kinda sad. The little fellas really do become part of the family.

Im glad you still have Jaraiya to talk to and keep you company. It can make all the difference in the world.

Take care,

Randy

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Poppygail wrote:
Jeff,

It's so funny you posted this. I was breaking the news of my dementia diagnosis to my sister in law a couple of nights ago and after the mandatory "oh nos!" She declared that I need a dog. And you know what, the idea really was appealing to me. I adored our Pug that passed a few years ago. Then I thought of the coming clumsiness, the falls, the increased confusion and hallucinations. And I thought no, no I don't need a dog. It wouldn't be fair to either of us at this point. Made me kinda sad. The little fellas really do become part of the family.

Im glad you still have Jaraiya to talk to and keep you company. It can make all the difference in the world.

Take care,

Randy

Oh buddy I SO suggest it and my wife who originally was in the NFW camp mellowed after 24 hours and after a few months could not imagine life w/o him. He was a rescue anyways and had his ways of being "broken" when we got him that we kinda worked together...and even having lost this much, I would not trade having him for the world. He and the other rescue Hiro can entertain the crap out of me when TV, Movies, games and other people just dont. And I will say that having a little buddy like this around makes going it alone if your caregiver needs time away alot easier too.

Another thing that gets leveled at LBD folks alot is that we get too apathetic....but I bet those folks saying that will change their mind if they see us with a pet around. Finally I will say this: though it may not work the same for everyone, having a service dog like Jiraiya as an anchor if you are forced to travel can be a blessing as well.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm glad that you have a buddy like him, he will give you much.

Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]